Israel Resumes Ceasefire Talks, UN Declares Famine in Gaza 

Negotiations on a ceasefire and the release of hostages in the Gaza Strip would resume “on terms acceptable to Israel,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced this week, even as his cabinet prepares a major offensive to seize Gaza City, Reuters reported. 

It was Netanyahu’s first response to a ceasefire proposal brokered by Egypt and Qatar, which Hamas accepted last Monday, and comes as Israel faces mounting international condemnation after a United Nations-backed monitor declared that Gaza is suffering a man-made famine as a result of the ongoing conflict.  

The proposed deal calls for a 60-day truce during which Hamas would release 10 living hostages and 18 bodies in exchange for about 200 Palestinian prisoners, followed by negotiations for a permanent ceasefire and the return of the remaining captives.  

Speaking to soldiers near the Gaza border, Netanyahu said Israel is in “the decision-making phase.” Other officials said the government will send negotiators to talks once the location is set. 

Observers noted that his comments underscore Israel’s insistence that any ceasefire deal ensure the return of the remaining 50 hostages captured in Israel during the Hamas-led attack on Oct. 7, 2023. Israel believes roughly 20 of them are still alive. 

Netanyahu also insisted that Israel would press ahead with battle plans to capture Gaza City, where tanks have advanced over the past 10 days. The offensive was approved by Israel’s security cabinet earlier this month despite warnings from allies that it would deepen the humanitarian crisis.  

Following his comments, Benny Gantz, a former defense minister and Netanyahu’s political rival, urged the formation of a temporary unity government to prioritize a hostage deal, France 24 noted. 

Gantz emphasized that Israel’s duty is “first and foremost to save lives.” His support could possibly sideline ultranationalist ministers who oppose any truce. Already, ultra-Orthodox parties have threatened to abandon Netanyahu’s unstable coalition over conscription reforms.  

Analysts suggest that the war and associated famine could trigger a political collapse: Netanyahu continues to face domestic pressure with weekly protests demanding a deal to free hostages and end the war. 

Internationally, Israel’s allies, including the United Kingdom, France, and Canada, have voiced alarm over both the Gaza offensive and Israel’s approval of a contentious settlement plan in the West Bank. 

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) said Friday that Gaza City and its surrounding areas were suffering a famine, with more than 500,000 people facing “catastrophic” hunger.  

The monitor projected that by September, nearly 641,000 people could face famine-level conditions, warning of escalating child malnutrition and deaths. UN Secretary General António Guterres called the situation “a man-made disaster” and “a failure of humanity,” according to the BBC. 

Israel strongly rejected the IPC findings, calling them an “outright lie” and accusing the monitor of using flawed methods and Hamas sources.  

Netanyahu’s office said Israel “has a policy of preventing starvation,” citing the entry of two million tons of aid and recent food airdrops, and blamed Hamas for looting supplies, the Times of Israel added 

The conflict began shortly after Hamas and its allies launched an attack in southern Israel, killing 1,200 people and kidnapping more than 250 others, in October 2023. Israel responded with ground offensives and airstrikes that have killed at least 62,000 Palestinians in the enclave, according to Gaza’s health ministry.

Subscribe today and GlobalPost will be in your inbox the next weekday morning


Join us today and pay only $46 for an annual subscription, or less than $4 a month for our unique insights into crucial developments on the world stage. It’s by far the best investment you can make to expand your knowledge of the world.

And you get a free two-week trial with no obligation to continue.

Copyright © 2025 GlobalPost Media Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Copy link