Russia Launches Major Strikes on Kyiv Amid Stalled Peace Negotiations 

Russia launched a series of strikes on the Ukrainian capital Thursday as peace talks remained stalled despite pressure from US President Donald Trump, NBC News reported 

Ukrainian officials said the strikes hit more than 20 locations in Kyiv, killing at least 23 people – including four children – and injuring at least 63 others. Ukraine’s air force noted that Moscow fired 629 drones and missiles overnight, marking the heaviest bombardment since July, when a strike on Kyiv killed 31.  

Explosions rocked the center of the capital, damaging homes and cutting power for about 60,000 residents. Among the damaged buildings were those of the European Union delegation and the British Council, though no staff were harmed. 

Russia’s Defense Ministry claimed it targeted Ukraine’s military-industrial sites with long-range weapons, saying all objectives were hit.  

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned the assault as proof that Russia had chosen “ballistics over the negotiating table” and renewed calls for tougher sanctions on Moscow.  

The attack coincided with renewed uncertainty over US-mediated peace negotiations to end the three-year-old conflict. 

Earlier this month, Washington expressed confidence in organizing a summit between Zelenskyy and Russian President Vladimir Putin, following a meeting between Trump, Zelenskyy, and European leaders at the White House. 

However, those attempts appear to have faltered, as Moscow has shown little urgency or willingness to compromise. 

Complicating the talks was also Russia’s rejection of a proposal to put a European-led peacekeeping mission in Ukraine as part of a peace deal, noted Politico. 

On Wednesday, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov dismissed Trump’s earlier claims that Putin might accept European peacekeepers as part of a settlement, saying Russia held a “negative attitude” toward the idea. 

Peskov added that NATO’s expansion was “one of the root causes” of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022.  

Moscow continues to demand that Kyiv cede more eastern territory, while Kyiv insists Ukraine will not give up Donbas, warning that to do so would provide a springboard for future Russian offensives. 

Meanwhile, Ukraine acknowledged this week that Russian troops had pushed into the eastern-central region of Dnipropetrovsk for the first time since the invasion began, though Ukrainian officials said the Russians were repelled after heavy fighting near two villages, the BBC added. 

Subscribe today and GlobalPost will be in your inbox the next weekday morning


Join us today and pay only $46 for an annual subscription, or less than $4 a month for our unique insights into crucial developments on the world stage. It’s by far the best investment you can make to expand your knowledge of the world.

And you get a free two-week trial with no obligation to continue.

Copyright © 2025 GlobalPost Media Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Copy link